Our story begins at the start of World War II in the then British colony of Ceylon. A military hospital serving British military personnel would eventually become Durdans Hospital, sited where the present hospital now stands.
In 1945, a group of doctors recognised an opportunity to develop the fledgling healthcare sector as a private enterprise, and took over the former military hospital to establish Ceylon Hospitals Limited. A new era in patient care dawned for those in need of clinical care, attended to with an ethos of healing and caring for all. A special focus was given to maternity care from 1968 when Durdans opened its first maternity care facility as well as an outpatient facility.
The hospital gradually offered more services and a modernisation and remodelling programme was initiated. In 1997 a strategic alliance was formed with a regional centre of excellence in cardiology. The Durdans Heart Centre was opened in 1999, bringing unmatched and dedicated cardiac care to patients for the first time in Sri Lanka. Ceylon Hospitals Ltd was listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange in 2003, followed by a phased expansion programme commencing in 2004 with the second phase commencing in 2007.
Durdans is now considered the foremost tertiary medical institution in the country. Underpinned by solid support from the finest staff, cutting edge medical technology and modern facilities, we are constantly guided by our patient focus. Our goal to remain at the peak of private healthcare in Sri Lanka remains undiminished.